Thursday, April 30, 2015

Gardening: My Love

Among the many random things I like to do, gardening is at the top of that list. Something about watching plants grow from seeds into beautiful plants brings me a sense of satisfaction. To add the cherry to the top of this beautiful hobby of mine, is seeing butterflies and other creatures enjoying your garden to! :) I'm no expert at gardening, but I think I've learned a few things in my years of gardening that have been helpful for me.

One of the first things I've learned to do is experiment in location. There are some plants that say they do best in full sun, but that's not always the case! For example in this picture below, it said to plant in full sun, however I planted it in a hanging pot in a mostly shady place and it grew quite lovely. However its brothers that I have put in the full sun area in the same conditions, did not to well and died.

I've also always scattered eggshells into the soil and from time to time spread bone meal and blood meal and mix the dirt a little. Supposedly I'm helping the plants. Haha As seen in the picture below you can see specks of white throughout the area. Also California poppies will grow anywhere from my experience. So if you want something pretty in your yard that adds color, plant some of these. They can be in dry dirt and full sun and grow strong. In the mornings when the sun hasn't quite reached them (like in this picture) the little orange flowers are still closed up, but when the sun comes out they open up and its just beautiful! I also recommend planting Milkweed in your garden! It will encourage the population growth of monarch butterflies! Milkweed is vital for their survival because they need it in order to survive. It whats known as their "Host plant" its kinds hard to see in the picture, but its in the back middle next to the poppies with the little redish orange flowers! It does grow bigger, but I personally wouldnt call it a weed. Its kinda bushy.

Sometimes I plant things and cant remember what it was that I planted and a lot of times I don't label it. So when i have a plant like the one below that hasnt bloomed yet, I get excited to see buds! Its like Christmas when they bloom. You dont know what your going to get till its opened!

Below are just a few pictures of the plants that are doing well in the yard and that I really enjoy the color and look of! Those little multi-colored fuzzy ones are just adorable! I think I want to buy more of them!




No comments:

Post a Comment